Operating Room Cleaning & Getting the Most Out of Guidelines
In today’s complex and fast-paced operating rooms, there are a number of situations where lapses in technique, procedure and protocols can result in surgical site infection. The environment – equipment and surfaces – in the operating room has been identified as a source of infection. Thorough and correct cleaning and disinfection at the right times is critical to reduce the risk of surgical site infection.
After this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the different areas of the facility where invasive procedures take place and where guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting the operating room may apply
- Understand the burden of surgical sit infection, the types of pathogens that cause them and how the environment is a potential source of infection
- Describe the general best practices for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and equipment
- Describe evidence-based protocols and practices that apply to cleaning the operating room and peri-operative spaces
- Assess what cleaning and disinfecting actions should be taken in situations where there may be more than one option
The overarching goal of this webinar is to demonstrate to attendees that cleaning and disinfection best practices apply regardless of the location in the facility, but that there are specific protocols and practices that apply to the operating room based on the situations encountered.