Candida auris: An Emerging Threat in Long-Term Care
At the conclusion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Explain the epidemiology of C. auris
- Differentiate C. auris from other antimicrobial-resistant pathogens
- Implement surveillance for C. auris into their infection control program
- Select appropriate infection control measures to contain C. auris
- Identify the subtleties around cleaning and disinfection for this pathogen
A little over a decade after it was identified, Candida auris is a growing threat. It has spread to 6 of 7 continents and has been responsible for several deadly outbreaks. In 2019, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention listed C. auris as an urgent drug-resistant threat with a high mortality rate. Action is needed now to contain this rapidly emerging pathogen, including surveillance, laboratory identification and infection control measures.
This webinar will provide a review of the scientific literature and evidence-based guidelines for controlling this novel pathogenic fungus, as well as provide key actions that facilities should be doing now.
Participants will learn about:
- The history and epidemiology of C. auris, a growing urgent and emerging antimicrobial-resistant threat
- The importance of surveillance, and why this pathogen is so difficult to identify by routine laboratory methods
- Lessons learned from outbreaks and how this pathogen spreads within a facility
- How to facilitate adherence to infection prevention and control measures to contain C. auris
- The nuances of cleaning & disinfection as it relates to this unique pathogen
Several resources will be provided that participants can add to the C. auris resource library.
The over-arching goal of this webinar is to bring attention to this urgent threat and inform healthcare facilities on actions they should be taking now.