Versatile Cleaners: A Swiss Army Knife Approach to Improve Cleaning Operations
As an outdoor enthusiast, one item I rarely go without on my adventures is my Swiss Army Knife. This trusty little pocketknife has come in handy and gotten me out of a pickle more than once. With a dozen differing tools, its functionality provides a simple and convenient solution to various small tasks. Whether on the trail, making camp, or at home, the Swiss Army Knife’s versatility has become something I can rely on to get the job done.
A versatile cleaner can perform a similar “Swiss Army Knife” function by offering convenience and efficiency in your day-to-day cleaning operations. Let’s explore how.
What is a versatile cleaner?
A versatile cleaner is your anywhere, everywhere, every job cleaner. These tend to be concentrated, cost-effective, compatible with many surfaces, and work on different types of soils and stains. They may also be a solution to a cluttered cart and simplify a complicated work process. These features make versatile cleaners a powerful tool for cleaning operations, offering convenience and efficiency.
Implement a versatile cleaner in a janitorial operation
A versatile cleaner can reduce or eliminate the need for many cleaning products. The CDC recommends minimizing the number of different environmental cleaning products in use at a facility.1 Fewer cleaning products mean a more simplified cleaning process, reduced training requirements for staff, and less potential for errors in preparation and use. A versatile cleaner adds efficiency to cleaning operations by saving staff time and allowing them to better focus on their tasks. With versatile cleaners used in various settings and applications, there is opportunity to work these into existing processes. Consider which of your current tasks can be completed by using the same versatile cleaner and make the shift to a more efficient solution.
What features should I look for in a versatile cleaner?
Not all cleaning products are created equal. In general, you should look for a versatile cleaner that has the following features:
- Concentrated. This is a cleaner you will use frequently, so a concentrate is a must-have to help you save money and storage space.
- Compatible with a broad range of surfaces. A cleaner compatible with various surface materials (i.e., wood, sealed granite, laminate, vinyl, stainless steel) is necessary to tackle your routine tasks and prevent damage.
- Combats multiple types of soils. For best results, cleaners should break down the toughest soils to remove dirt, soap scum, grease, rust, hard water stains and more.
- BONUS: Is a broad-spectrum disinfectant. To combat the spread of viruses and bacteria, determine if the product is an EPA-registered disinfectant, and what pathogen efficacy claims are available. Follow directions for use for application and dwell time.
Remember, when looking for ways to simplify and add efficiency to your cleaning operation, adopt the “Swiss Army Knife” approach and use a versatile cleaner for your facility’s needs.
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Environmental cleaning supplies and equipment [Internet]. [cited 2023 Mar 10]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/prevent/resource-limited/supplies-equipment.html